Sunday 26 June 2011

Former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas: 'I like it creative'


Former Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas claims that he will run the club in a democratic manner, insisting that he is not a dictator.

The 33-year-old was appointed as the successor to Italian Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked after a trophyless season at Stamford Bridge. In contrast, the young Portuguese manager created history by becoming the youngest ever tactician to win a European trophy - adding the Europa League to a domestic double last season.
Discussing his managerial style, Villas-Boas told The Mirror: "I’m no dictator.
"I encourage freedom of choice in football. Players can only achieve their true ­potential if they are not ­shackled and are able to stand on their own two feet.
"Creativity in my players is important. I love the unpredictable part of the game.
"I strongly believe that ­players have to express themselves to their full potential, they must be able to make choices during the game."
Villas-Boas also admitted that he has landed his dream job, and hopes to fulfil his managerial potential in the role.
"I want ­success. I have expectations and want to look back on a career I can be proud of," he said. "I want to win ­championships, I want to explore other leagues and embrace different social and cultural behaviour.
"This job is all I ever wanted. I accept people may view it as a gamble employing someone so young, but if I didn’t believe I could succeed what is the point?"
Villas-Boas was the seventh manager in Roman Abramovich's eight-year reign as Chelsea owner, succeeding Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Guus Hiddink and Ancelotti.

No comments:

Post a Comment